Sunday, February 02, 2014

 

A Greek Auto-Antonym

Definitions of ἀπεσθίω in Liddell-Scott-Jones (LSJ):
LSJ s.v. cite comic poets quoted by Athenaeus 14.649 b-c, but not Athenaeus himself, who emphasizes the contrary meanings of the verb (14.649 a-b, tr. Charles Burton Gulick):
"There you have in full, my noble bursar Ulpian, my account of the kopté; I advise you to bite it off." So he without delay picked it up and began to eat it. They all burst out laughing at this, and Democritus said: "But I did not tell you to eat it, noble word-chaser, I told you rather not to eat it..."

'ἀπέχεις, ὦ καλέ μου λογιστὰ Οὐλπιανέ, τὴν κοπτήν· ἧς συμβουλεύω σοι ἀπεσθίειν.' καὶ ὃς οὐδὲν μελλήσας ἀνελόμενος ἤσθιεν. γελασάντων δὲ πάντων ἔφη ὁ Δημόκριτος· 'ἀλλ᾽ οὐκ ἐσθίειν σοι προσέταξα, καλὲ ὀνοματοθήρα, ἀλλὰ μὴ ἐσθίειν...'
The online Diccionario Griego-Español also doesn't cite Athenaeus for this word.

Labels:




<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?